Hamill, Thomas A.
Martin, Pringle, Oliver, Wallace & Bauer, L.L.P.
6900 College Blvd., Suite 700
Overland Park, Kansas,
Phone: +1 913 491 5500
Fax: + 1 913 491 3341
Hamill, Thomas A.
Tom Hamill grew up in a family of seven children with a father who was an independent business owner. This environment fostered Tom’s independent streak and gave him an appreciation for the risks and benefits associated with entrepreneurial endeavors. Tom’s law practice has focused on business owners – whether representing them in commercial litigation or assisting in their professional and personal succession planning needs. Tom’s father was his first, and to date most challenging. business client. As he did when representing his father’s company, Tom welcomes the opportunity to employ creativity and plain old hard work to meet the needs of the business community.
Tom began his legal career in a small firm in western Kansas. He served briefly as an officer in the Trust Department of Commerce Bank of Kansas City. Thereafter he became an Assistant United States Attorney in Kansas City, where he tried many civil and criminal cases over the next four years. In the mid 1970s, he founded his own firm and began to build his commercial/business practice. In 1996, Tom and Scott Tschudy opened the Martin Pringle office in Overland Park, Kansas. He is admitted to practice law in both Kansas and Missouri.
During his legal career, Tom has been active in numerous professional associations. He is Past President of the Johnson County Bar Association, the Johnson County Bar Foundation, and the Kansas Bar Association. He has been a member of the American Bar Association House of Delegates for the past 17 years, serving currently as the Kansas Delegate to the House, and a member of the Nominating Committee of the House of Delegates. Tom also served as Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Kansas Public Employees Retirement System for nearly four years.
- University of Kansas School of Law, J.D., 1967
- University of Kansas, B.A., 1964
- Missouri, 1992
- Kansas, 1967
- American, Missouri, Kansas, Johnson County, and Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Associations, Member
- American Bar Association, Fellow
- Kansas Bar Association, Fellow
- Kansas Bar Foundation, Board of Directors, Founding Director and Past President
- Kansas Bar Association, Past President
- Kansas Delegate, American Bar Association House of Delegates
- Johnson County Bar Association, Past President
- Overland Park Chamber of Commerce, Member
- Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce, Member
- Board of the Gracious Promise Foundation, Member
- Kansas Public Employees Retirement System (KPERS), Chairman of the Board (1987 - 1991)
Awards and Recognition
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Rating
- Kansas Super Lawyer, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
- Kansas Super Lawyer, Corporate Counsel Edition, Business Litigation, 2009
- Best Lawyers in America, 2008, 2009, 2010
Tom has more than 35 years of experience handling commercial litigation. He is a formidable advocate and trusted advisor in both complex and routine matters. Tom’s clients trust him with their commercial disputes, whether the matter is played out in the courtroom, before an arbitration panel, in mediation, or in negotiations with other businesses or their counsel. Tom is also a respected mediator and arbitrator in his own right. He has been a member of the American Arbitration Association's Commercial Panel for over twenty years, and is also invited to serve as a mediator or arbitrator in many private cases.
Tom serves as general counsel for numerous medium and small businesses. In this capacity, he handles all of their transactional matters, and also guides his clients through business succession and estate planning, represents them in commercial negotiations, and serves as trial counsel in civil and commercial litigation.
- Corporate and M&A
- Estate and Wealth Transfer Planning
- Litigation & ADR
- Tax: Commercial