James, Teresa J.
Teresa James grew up in Hutchinson, Kansas, and she practiced law in Wichita for over twenty years before transferring to Martin Pringle’s Overland Park office. Having practiced in both cities, Teresa has a uniquely broad perspective of the legal landscape in Kansas and in western Missouri, and she is admitted to practice in both states. Her move to the Kansas City area also brings Teresa closer to the University of Kansas, her alma mater for both her undergraduate and law degrees. An avid Jayhawk fan, Teresa can be found in the stands for most of KU’s home football and men’s and women’s basketball games. Teresa brings the same enthusiasm and dedication to serve her clients’ legal needs. She has twice been nominated by a Fortune 1000 client to the BTI Client All-Star Team for outstanding legal service.
- University of Kansas School of Law, J.D., 1984
- University of Kansas, B.A., 1981
- Kansas, 1984
- Missouri, 2006
- Kansas Bar Association, Continuing Legal Education Commission, Board Member
- Kansas, Johnson County, and Wichita Bar Associations, Member
- Kansas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Earl E. O'Connor Inn of Court, Member (2006 - 2009)
- Kansas Judicial Eminent Domain Advisory Committee, Former Member
- Wichita Bar Association, Past Secretary and Vice President
- Kansas Area United Methodist Foundation Board Member
- Kansas Appleseed Center for Law and Justice, Director and Treasurer
- University of Kansas Alumni Association, Lifetime Member
Awards and Recognition
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Rating
- BTI Consulting, Client Service All-Star, 2002 and 2005
Teresa represents a number of natural gas and liquids pipeline clients, as well as wind and other energy clients in diverse practice areas. She has experience advising and consulting energy clients in matters ranging from right of way acquisition and disputes over rights of way/easements, to oil and gas interests, gas storage rights, and business acquisition. Teresa is intimately familiar with federal, state, and municipal/local laws and regulations governing these areas. She frequently represents energy clients in litigation before federal and state courts, administrative and regulatory bodies, such as the Kansas Corporation Commission (KCC), and municipal bodies, such as city councils and planning commissions. Teresa has served as lead or sole counsel in complex litigation involving issues such as underground gas storage rights, easement encroachments, and prescriptive easements. She is a past president of the Kansas Bar Association Oil and Gas Section.
Condemnation and Real Property Law
Teresa represents clients that have condemnation authority under federal or state law. She is a recognized authority in the areas of the acquisition of pipeline rights of way, fiber optic rights of way, underground gas storage easements, meter and regulator sites, and railroad rights of way. Teresa is frequently involved in negotiations for the acquisition of such interests, and in drafting necessary documents to finalize the client’s lease or purchase transaction. She files condemnation proceedings in federal and state courts, and represents clients in the initial valuation stage as well as on appeal. Although condemnation matters often involve only a single tract or handful of tracts, Teresa has also handled right of way acquisition and condemnation projects for lengthy pipeline and fiber optic corridors stretching for many miles cross-country.