Richard gained an LLB in European Legal Studies with First Class Honours at Bristol University in 1997. Legal Practice Course 1998. CCH Business Law and Practice Prize.
Richard qualified at Clarkslegal into the real estate team in 2000 and was promoted to Partner in 2012. Richard specialises in property management and development. He has wide experience in acquisitions and disposals of freehold and leasehold property.
Particular focus has been on public sector work, including occupational rights, acting for landlords and tenants on grant of leases and assignments, acting for sellers in relation to auction and tender sales and responsibility for preparation of tender packs (in electronic format), management of and purchases and sales of land and commercial properties.
Some examples of client work:
- Acquisitions, disposals and management work for large PLC with substantial property portfolio throughout England and Wales, including property development
- Acting for NHS bodies in relation to a number of major sales and procurement projects, as well as property management related work involving granting leases to key research and teaching institutions
- Acting for both landlords and tenants in respect of grants of leases and subleases for commercial and industrial occupation
- Acting for PCTs in relation to property issues
- Acting for PCTs in relation to ongoing sales of health centres
- Advising and assisting in management of major NHS Trusts as main client contact for estates work, day to day space and occupational issues to more strategic transactions
- Experience of important high value NHS transactions
- Experience of negotiation of overage clauses
- Experience of planned disposal / marketing through Tender and Informal Tender
- Experience of resolving title defects on NHS sites
- Negotiating business sales where there is a large property element and offering corporate support
- Negotiation and grant of options and conditional contracts, acting for sellers, including drafting complex overage provisions
- Part of Clarkslegal team dealing with all aspects of land and property management for a national company having interests in ongoing development schemes and requirements for disposal of surplus land
- Strategic advice to quarrying client in respect of detailed negotiations to keep quarry and works open, involving highways agreements and planning issues