Hirschfeld, Q.C., Christene H.
Phone: +1 902 460 3413
Fax: +1 902 463 7500
99 Wyse Road, Suite 600
P.O. Box 876, Dartmouth Main
Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia,
Canada, B2Y 3Z5
Phone: +1 902 469 9500
Fax: +1 902 463 7500
Hirschfeld, Q.C., Christene H.
Christene is a partner and lives in Queensland, Nova Scotia. Her practice focuses on business, entertainment and intellectual property law. She is often invited to speak on entertainment law and intellectual property, as well as matters relating to business related issues including financing, privacy and other topics.
Christene's name has been included in the publication The Best Lawyers in Canada since its first edition in 2006 and she has been given Distinguished Attorney Rating from Martindale-Hubbell. In 2013, Christene was named the Best Lawyers’ 2014 Halifax Information Technology Law “Lawyer of the Year” and also was a recipient of a 2013 Lexpert Zenith Award "Celebrating Women Leaders in the Legal Profession". She is a founding member of Women in Film and Television - Atlantic, a member of the Canadian Intellectual Property Office's Speakers Bureau, an Associate of the Law & Technology Institute, an Affiliate of the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada, the Past Chair of the Canadian Bar Association's National Intellectual Property subsection, Past Chair of the Nova Scotia Chapter of Canadian Women in Communication, a past director of the Information Technology Industry Alliance of Nova Scotia and a former lecturer at Dalhousie University Law School. Christene has been recognized by her peers and is regularly included in Best Lawyers in Canada and Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory.
- 1984: Dalhousie University Law School, Halifax - LL.B.
- 1981: Dalhousie University, Halifax - B.A., Psychology
- 1994 - Present: Partner, BOYNECLARKE LLP, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
- 1989 - 1994: Lawyer, BOYNECLARKE LLP, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
- 1986 - 1989: Lawyer, Cooper & McDonald, Halifax, Nova Scotia
- 1985 - 1986: Law Clerk, Federal Court of Canada, Ottawa, Ontario
- 1984 - 1985: Articled Clerk, Cox Downie & Goodfellow, Halifax, Nova Scotia
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ACTIVITIES
- Member - Licensing Executives Society (LES)
- Founding Member - Women in Film and Television (WIFT)
- Advisor - Entrepreneurs' Forum
- Past Chair - National Intellectual Property Section, Canadian Bar Association
- Member - Nova Scotia Barristers' Society
- Member - Canadian Bar Association
- Affiliate Member - Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC)
- Law Reform Commission's Advisory Group on Intellectual Property (1996)
- Patent Trademark Institute of Canada, Domain Names & Trademarks on the
- Internet Committee (1997-1998)
- Lecturer - Dalhousie University Law School (2002-2004)
- Associate - Law & Technology Institute
- Director - Discovery Centre (2002 - 2006)
- Chair - Canadian Women in Communications (Nova Scotia Chapter) (1998-2002)
- Member - Steering Committee - Nova Scotia Film School (1999-2001)
- Member - Management Committee - The Halifax Club (1999-2004)
- Director - Information Technology Industry Alliance of Nova Scotia (ITANS) (1998-2001)
- Member - ITANS Planning Committee (1998-2003)
- Vice President - Society for Prevention of Cruelty (Nova Scotia) (1995-1998)
- Director - Society for the Prevention of Cruelty (Nova Scotia) (1994-1999)
- Board of Governors - Sacred Heart School (1995-1997)
- Fundraising Committee - Discovery Centre (1997)
- Volunteer - Metro Food Bank (1995-97)
- Best Lawyers' 2014 Halifax Information Technology Law "Lawyer of the Year"
- 2013 Lexpert Zenith Award "Celebrating Women Leaders in the Legal Profession"
- Appointed Queen's Counsel (2012)
- Selected by her peers and listed in The 2012 Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory?
- Selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers In Canada every year since 2006 for her work in entertainment, intellectual property and information technology law
- Recipient of the 2002 Global Television Network Broadcast Communications Award Contribution to New Media in Canada
BOYNECLARKE Law Letters:
- "Purchasing a Home in Nova Scotia"
- "Errors & Omissions Insurance"
- "Film and Television Finance"
- "Personal Property Security Act"
- "Equity Tax Credit"
Ms. Hirschfeld is frequently asked to speak on topics including Real Estate; Privacy; Intellectual Property; Contracts; Commercial Loans; and e-Commerce and has been presenting on those topics since 1996.
- Nova Scotia Association of Realtors - "Canada's Anti-Spam Legislation"
- Exhibitions Association of Nova Scotia AGM - "Canada's Anti-Spam Legislation"
- Business Women Connect (BWC) "Mentoring Mondays"
- Annual General Meeting of the Exhibitions Association of Nova Scotia – “Corporate Governance”
- RBC Commercial Lenders – “Issues Relating to Security for Loans”
- Canadian Intellectual Property Office – “Copyright”
- CBDC Quarterly Meeting, Truro
- Editors’ Association of Canada, Annual Conference – “Intellectual Property/Copyright issues”
- CBC Main Street, Radio One – Interview with Jackie Torrens on personality and publicity rights
- The Atlantic Filmmakers’ Cooperative, Summer Workshop Series – Taught a workshop on Legal Issues for Filmmakers
- New Brunswick Film Co-op – Presentation on IP issues
- Credit Union Atlantic - "Issues Relating to Security for Loans" and "Nova Scotia's Equity Tax Credit Program"
- Interview: Playback Magazine on the topic of insurance for film/tv industries
- Interview: CBC-TV regarding the website www.dirty.com
- NS Association of Community Business Development Corporations – Collateral mortgage issues and lending to not-for-profits
- Interview: CBC Mainstreet regarding “Why Can’t They Just” about purchasing music on iTunes
- Innovative Ideas Competition – Member of the Judge’s Panel for the competition
- Hosted IPIC (Intellectual Property Institute of Canada) luncheon – “Recent and Upcoming Changes in the Canadian IP landscape”
- In-house educational presentation: Collateral Mortgages
- Chambers of Commerce AGM – “Board Governance”
- Visual Arts Nova Scotia – Artists’ Legal Info Society – “Beyond the Basics: Contracts and Copyright”
- Entrepreneurs’ Forum Advisory Meeting – Business Advisor for Entrepreneurs’ Forum
- Black Employment Resource Centre – “Board Governance”
- Canadian Bar Association – “Lending to Not-For-Profit Organizations”
- Blue Water Business Development Corporation Limited – “Corporate Governance”
- Presentation to a publicly-traded company – “Issues Related to Contract Negotiations”
- Yarmouth Chamber of Commerce – “Governance Sessions & Business Issues”
- Credit Union Atlantic – “Security Issues for Commercial Lenders”
- Business Development Bank of Canada – “Security Issues for Commercial Lenders”
Corporate Commercial Law
Privacy & Information
Residential Real Estate Law
- Corporate and M&A
- Intellectual Property / Information Technology
- Real Estate
- Sports, Entertainment and Gaming