Harris, R. Barton
Bart is a shareholder in the Corporate section and joined the firm in 1999 after practicing law in Chicago for five years. Bart's practice focuses on securities offerings, US and cross-border M&A, joint ventures and real estate partnerships. Bart has worked on a number of public offerings (equity and debt) and the subsequent compliance with federal securities laws and has represented buyers and sellers in numerous public and private mergers and asset and stock acquisitions.
Recently, his experience includes handling matters for U.S. clients with international activities and for foreign clients with U.S. investments or operations. He has worked on matters in Europe, China, the Middle East, Singapore and Mexico. Bart also represents clients on general corporate matters, including IT outsourcing agreements, distribution agreements, licensing and marketing agreements, joint ventures, strategic alliances and teaming relationships.
Recent engagements include:
- Structuring a joint venture for the worldwide sale of commodities
- Advising foreign clients on the appropriate structure for foreign investments in the US
- Advising on the structure and development agreements for a large manufacturing facility in Mexico
- Negotiating energy procurement services agreements with various state agencies in Texas and corporations located throughout the United States
- Representing investors, start-up firms and small businesses in venture capital transactions.
- Representing sellers and buyers in the sale or purchase of small and medium-sized businesses
- Structuring and negotiating the terms of real estate partnerships
Memberships & Affiliations
- Dallas Bar Association, Corporate Counsel and Securities Sections
- State Bar of Texas, Business Law Section
- William and Mary School of Law, Juris Doctor
- University of Virginia, Bachelor of Science