John is one of the firm's primary industry specialists. He has extensive experience in farm succession planning, farm conveyancing and financing and corporate farming. He has farmed on Banks Peninsula and is well-known throughout the Canterbury farming community.
John also has a large commercial property practice and is experienced in both development and investment activities. He is an advisor to small and medium sized business enterprises.
He has a special interest in trust and associated tax law and has conducted numerous seminars on trusts and succession planning. He has also led seminars for the Real Estate Institute of New Zealand and other real estate groups.
Recent projects include:
- Acquisition, development, leasing and ongoing administration and sale of large city shopping complex. Value $18m.
- Acquisition of Toyota dealerships in the North Island.
- Sales and purchases of farms; currently involved in a $9m transaction.
- Trusteeship and management of 400 ha fattening farm owned by a charitable trust whose objects are the furtherance of agriculture and farm forestry.
- Acting for sizeable companies operating in civil construction, boat building, cosmetics, transport, primary produce and other industries.
- Trustee of many farming and commercial property-owning trusts.
- The setting up of several large scale estate and succession plans.
- Several major tax reconstructions.
- Inter-shareholder arrangements for professional and commercial bodies.
John joined Duncan Cotterill after graduating in 1968 and has been a partner in the firm since 1971. He is a past member of the Canterbury District Law Society Conveyancing and Taxation Committees.
Commercial, Property, Agribusiness and Asset Protection and Succession Planning.