MacNeil, James D.
“I assist individuals and companies in resolving disputes. Often this is through negotiation, but sometimes it takes a fight.”
Born in Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Jamie received his Bachelor of Arts from Saint Mary’s University and he received his LL.B. from the University of New Brunswick in 2000. Jamie was called to the Nova Scotia Bar in 2001 and the New Brunswick Bar in 2012.
Jamie is Managing Partner of the Firm. Jamie's practice consists of a wide range of Commercial Litigation and Civil Litigation with a strong emphasis on Construction Law. He has provided advice and litigated construction cases involving lien claims and disputes, bidding and tendering issues, delay claims, negligence, contract disputes, design issues, building deficiencies, etc. He has also represented clients in many arbitration and mediation cases.
In addition to his construction law practice, Jamie has acted for clients in disputes involving property litigation, employment law, landlord and tenant (both commercial and residential) disputes, securities litigation, collection matters, some environmental law issues, collection matters, shareholder disputes, and many other forms of contractual disputes.
Jamie has appeared at all levels of court in Nova Scotia, as well as the Tax Court of Canada, and both Federal Court and Federal Court of Appeal. Jamie has also successfully argued and appeared before the Regional Assessment Appeal Court, Workers’ Compensation Board, Workers’ Compensation Appeal Tribunal, Labour Standards Tribunal, Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board, National Energy Board and various other boards and tribunals. He is a frequent lecturer on builders’ liens, collection practices and various other litigation issues and matters.
Jamie is a member of the Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society, the Law Society of New Brunswick, the Construction Association of Nova Scotia and the Canadian Bar Association. He has volunteered with Junior Achievement of Nova Scotia and the Brain Injury Association of Nova Scotia and is a former board member of the Alderney Landing Association. Jamie is also a coach for Dunbrack Youth Soccer and has volunteered as team treasurer for several of the Halifax Hawks Minor Hockey Teams.
- 2000: LL.B., University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, New Brunswick
- 1993: Bachelor of Arts, Saint Mary's University, Halifax, Nova Scotia
- 2012 – Present: Managing Partner, BOYNECLARKE LLP, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
- 2010 – 2012: Sessional Instructor/Part-Time Faculty (Civil Trial Workshops), Dalhousie University Schulich School of Law, Halifax, Nova Scotia
- 2007 – Present: Partner, BOYNECLARKE LLP, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
- 2001 – 2006: Associate Lawyer, BOYNECLARKE LLP, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
- 2000 – 2001: Articled Clerk, BOYNECLARKE LLP, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ACTIVITIES
- Member – Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society
- Member - Law Society of New Brunswick
- Member – Canadian Bar Association
- Member – Halifax Chamber of Commerce
- Volunteer – Halifax Hawks Minor Hockey Association
- Coach – Dunbrack Youth Soccer
- Past Committee Member – Brain Injury Association of Nova Scotia (BIANS) Annual Golf Classic (2001 - 2005)
- Volunteer – Junior Achievement of Nova Scotia (2000 - 2006)
- Former Board Member – Alderney Landing Association
BOYNECLARKE LLP Lawletters:
-Small Claims Court
Frequent speaker on Builders' Liens and various litigation topics.
AREAS OF PRACTICE AND SERVICES OFFERED