Founded in 1989, Carter Newell are proud to have celebrated 30 years of experience and service to our clients in 2019. We attribute our continued success to the strong relationships we hold with our clients and the outstanding staff we employ, each of which is dedicated and committed to every aspect of the business and who have built up extensive experience in their particular specialist practice area(s):
- Construction & Engineering
- Energy & Resources
- Commercial Property
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Aviation & Transport
- Planning & Environment
Our extensive communications network enables us to continue to provide a seamless service to clients based nationally and overseas. By providing strategic advice and solutions to our clients, we deliver successful results in a timely manner. We have a proven track record of handling complex commercial issues, as well as high-level disputes, both nationally and internationally.
Carter Newell's most important and valued resource is its people. Each member of our team has belief in and is passionate about what they do on behalf of our clients.
Our clients regard us as their business partners, which differentiates us from other legal service providers. We see ourselves as an extension of each client's business and aim to help our clients achieve their commercial goals. It is not only our expertise, but also our dedication to being the best we can be that ensures we deliver on this client commitment.
The reputation of the firm has been recognised nationally for the quality of its services by being voted:
- 2018 Finalist Lawyers Weekly Australian Law Awards Partner of the Year: Patrick Mead, Energy & Resources Team of the Year, Insurance Team of the Year and Employee Program of the Year
- 2018, 2016 Winner 2017 2015 Finalist Australasian Law Awards State / Regional Firm of the Year.
- 2018 Finalist Lawyers Weekly Partner of the Year Awards - Construction and Infrastructure: Patrick Mead
- 2018 Finalist Lawyers Weekly Partner of the Year Awards - Insurance: Patrick Mead
- 2018 Finalist Financial Review Client Choice Awards
- 2018 2017 2016 2015 Finalist Australasian Law Awards Insurance Specialist Firm of the Year.
- 2018 2016 Finalist Australasian Law Awards Employee Health & Wellbeing
- 2017 Finalist Australasian Law Awards Law Firm Leader of the Year (less than 200 employees) - Paul Hopkins
- 2017 Finalist Lawyers Weekly Australian Law Awards Dispute Resolution Team of the Year and Special Counsel of the Year
- 2017 2016 Finalist Australasian Law Awards Australian Law Firm of the Year (up to 100 lawyers).
- 2016 Finalist Lawyers Weekly Partner of the Year Awards Insurance – Paul Hopkins
- Winner 2013 2012 Finalist – 2011, 2010, 2009 and 2007 ALB Australasian Law Awards Brisbane Law Firm of the Year.
- 2011 Winner ALB Employer of Choice Blue Award.
- 2011 Finalist ALB Australasian Law Awards Innovative Use of Technology.
- 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005 Finalist and 2006 Winner BRW Client Choice Award for Best Law Firm in Australia (open to firms with revenue under $50M per year).
- 2010 Finalist Lawtech Awards for Innovation in Legal IT.
- 2009 and 2008 Independently recognised as a leading Brisbane firm in the practice areas of Insurance | Building & Construction | Mergers & Acquisitions | Energy & Resources.
- 2009 Finalist Brisbane Lord Mayor’s Business Awards.
Recognised as a leading Law firm:
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Back-End Construction
- Professional indemnity
- Defendant Medical Negligence (Defendant)
- Energy & Resources
- Construction & Infrastructure Litigation
- Contentious Construction
- Public and Product Liability (Defendant)
Our senior lawyers have been recognised as being best in Australia and ranked as leading lawyers in our specialist areas:
2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 Best Lawyers in Australia
- Naturcal Resources Law
- Oil & Gas Law
- Competition Law
- Land Use and Zoning Law
- Personal Injury Litigation
- Class Action Litigation
- Aviation Law
- Energy Law
- Construction/Infrastructure Law
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Corporate law
- Insurance Law
- Product Liability Litigation
- Professional Malpractice Litigation
Our Mission Statement
To be recognised as a premier provider of specialist legal services across Australia and internationally by being the best we can be for our clients and ourselves.
At Carter Newell, we are in business to serve the needs of our clients.
Each member of the Carter Newell team has belief in and is passionate about what they do on behalf of our clients. We see ourselves as an extension of each client's business and aim to help our clients achieve their commercial goals. It is not only our expertise, but also our dedication to being the best we can be that ensures we deliver on this client commitment.
Our values, culture and strategic plan are aligned to enable us to be recognised as a premier provider of specialist legal services in each of our specialist practice areas across Australia and internationally.
These values help us focus our behaviours and strive for a work environment that reflects our core values - S.O.L.I.D:
Service Excellence - We will be the best that we can by providing excellent, cost-effective and quality services. We will listen and take ownership and pride in the delivery of our services
One Team – Together, the Carter Newell 'One Team' will strive to work in an open and transparent environment, seeking ways to embrace opportunities, while supporting and encouraging our fellow team members
Life Balance - We will maintain a balance between our family and working life to ensure our health, attitude and outlook remains positive
Integrity - Honesty and respect are accepted as fundamental to our success and commitment; our ethics will not be compromised
Dynamic Energy - With the power of 'One Team' we will actively pursue swift and progressive solutions.