Dykema, a leading national law firm, announced today that 15 attorneys from multiple offices and practice areas received individual rankings and nine practice areas have been recognized in the 2018 edition of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business guide.
Published annually, Chambers has been ranking the best law firms and lawyers since 1990, and now cover 185 jurisdictions throughout the world. Chambers ranks both lawyers and law firms based on the investigations of more than 170 researchers and researchers who conduct in-depth confidential interviews with lawyers and clients.
Chambers USA recognized the following Dykema practices:
Chambers USA recognized the following Dykema attorneys, as identified by jurisdiction and practice area:
- Mark E. Andrews—Bankruptcy/Restructuring
- Deborah D. Williamson—Bankruptcy/Restructuring
Chambers USA also noted client and market perception for the following Dykema practices:
- “They handle things extremely well; they are creative and understand the business aspects,” says a client.
- Another client highlights its “extensive knowledge of the issues.”
- Deborah Williamson is “an extremely talented bankruptcy attorney” whose “knowledge in how to navigate the complexities in bankruptcy is incredible,” report impressed clients.
- Mark Andrews is experienced in advising both lenders and debtors in Chapter 11 cases. Sources say he is “very effective and has great litigation skills.”
- Clients praise the hard-working team’s deep pool of resources: “It is a very responsive and attentive team. Their depth of resources is more than sufficient.”
- Another source states: “From my perspective, they are very thorough and responsive.”
- Michael Bernard acts on M&A, capital raisings and corporate governance, assisting clients from areas such as the automotive, manufacturing, services and technology sectors.
- Jin-Kyu Koh assists private and public companies with corporate transactions, and additionally acts on financing and capital markets mandates. A source states that he is a “very responsive, practical, pragmatic attorney who I would highly recommend for M&A work.”
- Thomas Vaughn draws praise from his clients for his transactional skills, with one noting: “I think he is an excellent lawyer who is very good in M&A transactions because he is very creative when he needs to be and very calming in heated negotiations.” Vaughn additionally acts on public service offerings and venture capital matters.
Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation
- A client says: “The team is very professional and responsive. All of our interactions with Dykema to date have been very positive in relation to every aspect.”
- A client says: “They do have a lot of resources available, and the quality of research and services they provide is excellent. I know I can always bank on anything they tell me.”
- Margaret Adams Hunter leads the practice and often works on issues pertaining to pension, welfare and fringe benefit plans. Clients appreciate her “depth of knowledge and experience” and say that “she is a great problem solver.”
- Amy Christen handles compliance and design issues relating to qualified retirement plans, among others. Sources say she is “technically knowledgeable and a pleasure to work with.”
- James Obermanns has experience in a wide range of employee benefit matters including ERISA, retirement plan design and executive compensation. He works with private employers and those in the governmental sectors.
Labor & Employment
- “They are very professional and very deep in their knowledge base and areas of expertise,” says a client.
- Clients appreciate the “excellent counsel on difficult labor issues” that the team provides.
- Robert Boonin has strong experience in public contract and education law, and often advises clients on wrongful termination and discrimination claims. Sources say he is a “very well-attuned negotiator and understands the process well.”
Litigation: General Commercial
- Sources say: “They are very competent and very responsive. They also have particular expertise in the automotive industry.”
- Another interviewee states: “They are strategic thinkers who really do work to find a unique solution, not just black and white. They think outside the box, are responsive and are easy to work with.”
- James Feeney “takes what is complex and makes it simple to understand,” say sources. He is highlighted for his work in the automotive space and is considered a top choice for high-profile disputes.
- Dennis Haffey works with defendants and plaintiffs on complex disputes at the trial and appellate level. His practice covers shareholder, securities and ERISA litigation.
- Dykema’s Real Estate group is described as “responsive, thorough and efficient.”
- Clients value that Dykema is “very attuned to the nuances of retail leases and have an attitude that enables them to move through issues to completion.”
- Kyle Hauberg handles matters such as real estate purchases, leases and financings. He is experienced in advising on matters concerning healthcare and automotive facilities.
- Michael Kurtzon is recommended for his “great communication and problem solving” by interviewees. He is best known for acting on behalf of institutional lenders on the full range of real estate transactions.
- Cameron Piggott is “a pleasure to deal with” and “excellent in his follow-through,” report sources. He handles a range of real estate matters, including issues related to commercial and residential developments.